Re: Changing to SST lines

Just to add a data point--

I put (front only) Galfers on my '93 R11RS several years ago. I think I bought
them from San Jose. The banjo bolt on the master cylinder end was a bit too
long and I had to stack extra crush washers under it.

I removed the ABS system at the same time. My decision to remove ABS has had
lots of discussion on this list over the years, which I'm not intending to
restart now; I only mention it because it's germain to this discussion.

Previously the brakes always had a spongy feel. That was true from the factory
and after every fluid change until the modification. From day one I had always
felt, "I'll bet these are really great brakes, but the ABS and/or stock lines
are masking their potential."

So true!

Now, I have a firm, progressive feel at the lever and eminently predictable
braking. It's the best thing I've done to the bike and delights me literally
every time I ride.

However, I changed two variables at the same time. I don't know which, if
either, was predominant in the improvement. Possibly the ABS, even while
passive, inherently contributed to the "sponginess"; or maybe it was all in
the stock lines. I suspect both were a factor, but that the ABS was more
significant since on other bikes I'd always been able to achieve a much firmer
feel, even with rubber lines.

Regards,
John Dancoe