From: WILLIAM BUFFTON <will3hawks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: fuel system-The  nightmare continues

Good afternoon heads,

I decided to change the fuel filter on my 94 R1100RS. Decided to try the
late Rob Lentini's conversion to an external filter. Removed the canister
and replaced the  old vent lines with new, also replaced the fuel strainer
on the fuel pump. After much  work I was having trouble with the line
leading into the fuel distribution line leaking like crazy. After consulting
with Tom Cutter, I double clamped the line and the leaking  stopped there.
Using the specified filter  (3401 if memory serves) I hooked everything up.
Bear in mind that all the fuel lines are new. When I turn the ignition
switch on and the system presurizes, fuel begins pissing at the  output end
of the filter. It is not the filter, i've tried 4 new ones as well as new
clamps. The fuel pressure simply overcomes the clamp and leaks at the output
end of the filter.

I know that others have done this conversion successfully so i'm lost at
this point.

The only thoughts I have are that the fuel pressure regulator has something
to do with it or perhaps the stock BMW  filter may have a pressure
regulating function which holds back  some of the pressure  on the input
side (I was not using the BMW filter in this application).

Tom  advocated that I go  with the origional setup and put the filter back
in the tank. At this point, i'm so damn sick of ripping everything apart
that I don't know what else to do.

Another thing is that sometimes I would replace the filter and clamps and
the bike would run fine and not leak.  I  went through a round of this
yesterday and ran the bike at high speed as well as up and down through the
gears with no leaking; then this morning when I turned the ignition on the
thing began pissing fuel again.

Any help and advice is most welcome as the alternative for the bike is a
match.

Regards,

Will