Re: The R1100RS Lectron Conversion Saga

Dan,

Thanks for the story. I enjoyed the early years, your experiences and experiments with the RS1100RS, and the current state of your battle against the dreaded Bing.

My R1100RS is an early '94 and is a "beta" bike. It too had its transmission replaced under warranty early on. Part of the replacement program was a new final drive, but I kept the old one on because of the lower gear ratio.

Starting has never been a problem with my bike...a couple of cranks and it's running.

However, the Bing bodies have been troublesome. Syncing them needs to be done often. Fortunately it's not difficult especially with a TwinMax tool. Not so fortunate is how quickly the throttle bodies wear at the butterfly valve shafts. I replaced both throttle bodies at 50K, separate parts weren't available at the time...or at least I couldn't locate them back then.

With new, actually slightly used, throttle bodies with non-leaking shafts on the RS it runs great. I'm sure some day I'll hear the dread tap-tap of a butterfly valve caused by a leaky shaft, but 'til then I'm a happy camper.

Karl