DR650 side panel replacement
Wednesday, Jul 26 2017 [5,475 miles]
A few weeks ago on the way to dinner I lost the right side panel of my DR650. I suspect one of the thumb screws I made fell out. Why? Because I sized the thumb screws using the left side of the bike and I really needed a longer head for the right size to get a good grip for proper torque.
I retraced my route the next morning and the following weekend. No luck. I found plenty of greyish colored body parts on the side of 280 but none were a DR650 side panel. I ordered most of the replacment parts needed on line. They arrived today.
Thats about $150 worth of parts: a plastic side panel, two stick on heat shields needed because the plastic covers the muffler, and a couple of washers. Not shown is the decal which was shipped later and should arrive in a few days.
I applied the lower heat shield and then the upper. The job was pretty easy. I can only hope the placement is correct. I don’t think placement is that critical. Not shown: writing my phone number on the inside in case I lose it again and it happens to be found.
This side cover fits a bit better than the one that was lost. The tab with the guide hole on the upper front section actually fits over the guide pin on the airbox. On the previous cover the hole was almost in front of the pin. I used a stock mounting screw until I can make a new (and improved) thumbscrew.
I’m also going to make a spacer block out of some delrin I have on hand once I verify that the temperature where it will meet the muffler mounting bracket doesn’t exceed its melting temperature.
Friday, Aug 4 2017 [5,475 miles]
The decal for the right side panel arrived this morning.
Yesterday I made a spacer out of some Delrin and attached it to the side cover with a 6mm screw. It is a bit thicker than the stock piece. I think it will do the needed job. It barely touches the exhaust bracket. If it rattles I’ll make changes.
I cleaned the side cover with some alcohol before attaching the decal. It is slightly crooked, but I’m not sure anyone will notice. I thought I got all the air bubbles out put the picture says otherwise. Ignore the air bubbles in the top covering that will be removed.
That’s what it looks like with the top layer removed. The cover is ready to go back on the bike. I haven’t uet made a replacement thumb screw so am using the original mounting screw — with a touch of blue loctite. I also wrote my phone number on the inside with a Sharpie.