After the restoration: Pistons and cylinders installed
Tuesday Apr 22 2014 [25,724 miles]
I started work this afternoon by breaking the magneto rotor from the the nose of the camshaft and rotating it 180 degrees. Just like last time this did the trick. The two images show the location of the timing mark just as the points open. There is a difference, but it is very, very small. Yeah, the timing is a touch advanced. I’ll fix that when I put a timing light on the bike once it is running.
bike on the lift
With the timing set I disconnected my meter and hooked up the coil and condensor. Now that I don’t need access to the front I put the bike on the lift to install pistons and cylinders. It’s easier working with the bike slightly raised.
checking piston weight
I know that they are new parts and therefore correct… but I’m checking anyway. Pistons, pins, and circlips all match side to side to the nearest gram. Alas, my scale doesn’t show 1/10 gram increments as some do :)
Note to self: it’s easier cleaning gasket flange surfaces before the piston is installed. I got the order right when working on the left side of the bike.
I’m using thicker base gaskets this time. The picture shows them after applying a thin coat of goop.
The rubber pushrod seals are still soft and pliable. The new tappets were well oiled and I applied the camshaft goop to the faces before installing them in the bike.
I cleaned and polished the pushrod tubes before insterting them into the cylinders. The now tacky base gaskets were placed over the inboard side of the cylinders. I used my ring compressor to simplify cylinder installation. I find it simpler, anyway. Hardest part of the job is getting the nuts around the tight spaces of the cylinder base.
After installing the right side I did the left. That is all the time I had to play with the bike this afternoon. Heads and valve train will have to wait for another day.