24,000 mile service

Monday, Nov 23 2015 [24,096 miles]

Time for the 24K service. I could have done this last week but I thought it might be too warm in the garage. So instead it will be too cold (and maybe wet) if I don’t finish it soon. A service always takes me longer than it should.

Need GS on lift

Need GS on lift

Need GS on lift
Should move car, too

Should move car, too

Should move car, too

I started by moving the DR650 off of the lift, replacing it with the GS. The car came out of the garage, too. Just in case. Aluminum dents easy and I sometimes drop things. And trip. And do other klutzy things.

I hooked up the GS-911wifi and did an autoscan looking for any logged faults. None found. The autoscan results are here if you are care to see what is reported. Use the back button on your browser to return to this page.

Dates are reported in yy/mm/dd format. I see that I got new firmware for four of the six controllers on my bike when I had some warranty work performed by the dealer.

Charge battery

Charge battery

Charge battery
Supplies

Supplies

Supplies
Ready to get started

Ready to get started

Ready to get started

I hooked up the battery charger to top off the battery and check the overall state. I expect it to tell me the battery is fully charged in a short period of time. It did.

I’ve got the needed supplies. The bike is on the lift. Time to get started.

Remove crash bars

Remove crash bars

Remove crash bars
Right side spark plug

Right side spark plug

Right side spark plug
Left side

Left side

Left side

While the battery was on the charger I pulled the crash bars, removed the valve covers, and pulled the spark plugs on both sides. The right side plug was a bit darker than the left plug. New plugs will go in the bike per BMW’s recommendation.

Ready to check valves

Ready to check valves

Ready to check valves
Tie down front, lift rear

Tie down front, lift rear

Tie down front, lift rear

After installing the tool to find TDC I remembered that I need the rear wheel off the ground to rotate the engine. I strapped the front end of the bike to the lift and used a scissor jack to lift the rear enough to rotate the engine.

When the TDC tool clicked into place the left side was at TDC. That’s where I started checking valves. I’m using a different set of feeler gauges this service; metric instead of inch. I expect some reading differences between this service and the 12k service due to conversion errors. These are the values read this service:

Left Front Left Rear Right Rear Right Front
Intake 0.16 0.15 0.16 0.15
Exhaust 0.38 0.37 0.37 0.39

Normal range is intake: 0.10 ~ 0.17mm; and exhaust: 0.34 ~ 0.41mm. No new shims needed at this time. No need to remove the cams.

Do'h

Do’h

Do’h
Valves done

Valves done

Valves done

Note to self: Put parts removed from under the valve cover back in the bike before re-installing the valve cover. It’s quicker that way.

6K use

6K use

6K use
New filter

New filter

New filter
Clutch fluid level

Clutch fluid level

Clutch fluid level

Before calling it an afternoon I topped up the coolant lever, changed the air filter, and checked the clutch fluid level. With my riding I lose an ounce or two of coolant every 6k miles. Yes, I see it flung out of the weep hole every once in a while. Low speed in the dirt and gaining elevation on roads made up of tight twisties do whatever it is that causes the bike to weep a bit of fluid.

The air filter was dirty. The clutch fluid level was fine. More tomorrow.

 

<=== Prev Next ===>