Re: Electrical cut-out R1100RS tipped to left

Have you checked the sidestand switch? That would be an obvious options as it is on the left side and would cause the same symptoms.

/Timo (R1100RT) First ride of the year tomorrow!!

John Merlinw Williams kirjoitti:
All:

First I would like to thank all of the regulars on this list who have been so helpful. A couple of years ago I had stretched head studs on the right cylinder that was causing an oil weep and you all helped me sort it (new studs and the correct torquing procedure). Although I don't contribute much, I appreciate the dialog and I've learned a lot. So here I am with hat in hand again. I think this could be interesting...

Here's my new challenge. When my 1999 R1100RS (32K miles) is tipped even a few degrees (less than 10) to the left, the electrics cut out completely. Tip it up straight and the electric's come back on - lights, idiot lights, ABS flashing correctly etc. - although the engine shuts off. I thought it might be a fuel problem but my test case is: key in "on" position, no ignition. Tip to the left - everything goes dark, tip it upright, everything comes back on. I touch nothing in the meantime. It's not intermittent - does it every time.

Background: Last fall I smelled a hot electrical odor. The the engine ran erratically - and got worse the warmer the engine got. Because of the intermittent but severe nature of the "cut-out-rough-running- stutter", then normal running for a minute or two, then repeat, in a very erratic pattern, I suspected the crank-position sensor (Hall- effect sensor?), but I have no diagnostic tools, so this time sent it to the dealer. They confirmed the sensor was burned and some wires melted. They replaced the sensor and the wiring. I also remember, one of the symptoms before the sensors were replaced was the bike often cut out briefly tipping into a left-hander. Not pleasant. I had them synch the throttle bodies also. The bike got back so late in the winter I never had a chance to test it on the road.

I just put on dual horns and steel brake lines, a new Optima battery, and ran it through the pre-season check, let it idle on the center stand. it sounded really sweet. As soon as I pushed off it died. It took me a while to to figure out that it was going to die every time it was tipped slightly to the left.

Ideas?

John Merlin Williams
jmerlinw@xxxxxxx