Re: oilheads-digest V4 #188

<<As I understand it the speedo cable is similar to all the other cables on these BMW bikes - no lubricating of any cable to be done. Just the ferrule
at the end of the, for example, clutch cable where it has to accommodate
some rotational friction against the lever.>>

You are not understanding the design of the cale correctly. Throttle and clutch cables go in and out, needing longitudinal support and lube from the teflon sheath. Speedometer cables spin in the housing, which would rapidly eat through a teflon lining. Speedometer cables DO benefit from cleaning and lubrication with lithium grease.

<<So, it can and does "hurt" to lube the speedo cable. However a light lubing of the bearing and gear surface of the white PTFE large gear with Vaselene
has worked well every time I change a tyre.>>

Lithium grease is less likely to degrade the nylon gear, and less likely to attract dirt. If the gear is worn AT ALL, replace it.

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com
*In the last lap, the wheel bearings seized, making a sound like a cat being turned down in a lathe.*