Side stand foot

Tuesday, Oct 8 2019 [2,065 miles]

Template and rough cut

Template and rough cut

Template and rough cut
Shaped and painted

Shaped and painted

Shaped and painted

The foot of the side stand is too small. Yesterday I made a cardboard template then used it to cut up and shape some 1/16" aluminum. I gave the foot several coats of paint and let it dry.

Spring removed

Spring removed

Spring removed
First hole drilled

First hole drilled

First hole drilled
... and tapped

… and tapped

… and tapped
Test fit to mark second hole

Test fit to mark second hole

Test fit to mark second hole

To attach the foot I drilled and tapped holes in the bottom of the side stand and attached the foot using M5 hardware. I took the sidestand off to drill the holes. I tried to hold the side stand in my desktop micro mill but gave up and decided to drill and tap free hand. The stand would not fit in my mill vice without getting in the way of the mill controls.

Once the first hole was drilled I attached the foot and positioned it. With the proper positioning set I marked the location of the second hole for drilling and tapping.

Second hole drilled and tapped

Second hole drilled and tapped

Second hole drilled and tapped
Loctite

Loctite

Loctite

I use blue Loctite on the screws. I started out with to 10mm long M5 screws, but the screw that goes through the foot stuck out more than I liked. I switched to an 8mm long screw. Perfect.

On the bike: retracted

On the bike: retracted

On the bike: retracted
On the bike, deployed

On the bike, deployed

On the bike, deployed

Pictures of the side stand with enlarged foot back on the bike. The book calls for 42 Nm of torque with blue Loctite. That’s what I gave it. I cleaned and used fresh grease on the pin and sliding surfaces. Getting the spring re-attached wasn’t that hard for a change. Job done.

Back to main KTM 790 Adventure page