R1200GS 48,000 mile service
Wednesday, 2 Sep 2009 [48,202 miles]
The timing is perfect. I’m back from a trip to Gardnerville, Nv [link] with the Sunday Morning Breakfast Club and not leaving for the annual camp-out in Sequoia National Park for two weeks. A service always starts with reading any error codes from the various controllers on the bike. No errors to read.
The stick coils were removed along with the plugs. Normally plugs would be changed at 48K, but I changed them last service so these plugs are only 12K miles old. Three of four were closer to the large end of the allowed gap. I set them to the middle of the range and put them back on the bike.
The left exhaust rocker had more play than I wanted. I adjusted it toward the low end of the range (< .10 mm, > .05 mm) after about two hours of futzing around. Part of the problem is the sucky tool pictured. It’s obvious when a wrench has gone 180 degrees. If I believed the indicator I’d have over torqued the head nut as it was reading closer to 110. The stop arm could not be tightened enough to not twist.
After getting the left side rocker end play set I adjusted valves on both left and right side. They were likely “good enough” before I started with the intake slightly loose on both sides and the exhaust slightlty tight on the left (but not measured until after the end play was adjusted).
In any case both side were perfect when I finished and re-installed the valve covers.
Minor note: I had to loosen, but not remove, the right crash bar to remove the valve cover. I suspect I tweaked the guards when I low-sided the bike this spring on the way to Death Valley.
Friday, 4 Sep 2009 [48,202 miles]
There was no need to remove the tank so I removed the right aluminum panel to get access to the air cleaner. While the panel was off I verified that the throttle cables were in OK condition and had a touch of free play.
FD fluid was changed using the new 180 cc fill amount. No play when wiggling the wheel before removing. The same barely detectible play when I wiggle the pinion splines. The brake pads are fine.
The brake disc, on the other hand, is at the wear limits. I’ll order a new disk and mounting screws. It looks like the rear is wearing at about .01 mm / 1000 miles. The front discs have 80 percent of their usable life left.
Sunday, 6 Sep 2009 [48,213 miles]
After a test ride to get the bike up to temperature I checked the idle and off idle balance. No tweaks necessary. The bike did feel noticeably smoother during the test ride. It made the time I took to get the valve just right all that much more worthwile.
While the fluids were warm I changed tranny and engine oil. The tranny oil looks greenish due to the remnants of the die added by the dealer way-back-when to diagnose some leaky seals.
After the fluids and oil filter were changed and the bash plate re-installed I hooked up the GS-911 one more time to clear any faults that I may have triggered during the service. There were none to clear. That’s all for now. Next time I touch the bike will likely be after I order a replacement brake rotor.