Monday, 25 Apr 2011
A deer ran into me on the way to Death Valley last week, leaving my crash bar a bit worse for wear. Today I thought I’d do something about it. At first I thought about wacking the bars with a big hammer but had visions of the bike falling off the center stand. I could safety strap the center stand to the front tire, but that’d be about the same amount of work as taking off the bar and working with it on the bench. Two minutes later the left crashbar was in my hands.
I used a medium hammer. The bars didn’t need that much tweaking. Once loosened they snapped half way back into their proper position. A few love taps got then the rest of the way. Or at least close enough. I might have to remove the bars to do valve adjusts in the future. I can put up with that, if necessary.
The end result is that the bars not only did their job, but are mostly ready to do their job, again. I lost the set screw that holds the end into the cross piece in front of the engine. It probably vibrated out over the 1200 mile long weekend. It’s a 6x1.0 mm set screw. I don’t think it will be too hard to replace.
And while I was doing the repair Mr Mailman delivered the 2011 versoin of the Touratech farkle book. I added it to my collection. I used to give them away so I wouldn’d order crap. That didn’t work very well. Now I collect them. I’m certain that before the year is out I’ll find something in there that I absolutely can’t live without!