42,000 mile service

<=== Prev Next ===>


Friday, Oct 5 2018 [41,791 miles]

I’m about 200 miles short of 42K. It’s also been just over a year since the 36K service. I didn’t ride the bike nearly as much as usual this year. Probably because I’m riding my DR650 more often than not.

The bike is over 5 years old. I’m still running the OEM battery. It even has a sticker with the bike’s VIN. Time for a change. I ordered an Anti-gravity LoFePO4 battery that will fit the bike. That also means I ordered a LiFePO4 compatible charger, too. The instructions for the battery were pretty specific about not using lead-acid “smart” chargers. I expect to use another LiFePO4 battery in my DR. A proper charger will be a good tool to have.

New Battery

New Battery

New Battery
Lithium-Ion

Lithium-Ion

Lithium-Ion

This is the new battery. The case has positive and negative terminals on both front and pack. Pick the ones you want to use. I matched the terminal locations used on the stock battery.

Stock battery

Stock battery

Stock battery
short, needs spacer

short, needs spacer

short, needs spacer
Access to hot lead

Access to hot lead

Access to hot lead

Unhook ground. Unhook the rubber retaining strap and bracket. Notice the spacer under the battery. Slide the battery out to get access to the hot lead.

New and old

New and old

New and old
Old is shorter

Old is shorter

Old is shorter

The new battery is in a standard size case. It is, however, larger than the battery that came with the bike. BMW used a spacer to make the stock battery better fit in the bike. The spacer probably helped damp vibrations, too.

Without spacer

Without spacer

Without spacer
Spacer modification

Spacer modification

Spacer modification
With modified spacer

With modified spacer

With modified spacer

The battery fit without a spacer. There was room to spare. I liked the idea of some vibration damping, though. I cut the stock spacer into two pieces and put the smaller piece under the battery. I think that is better.

Software update

Software update

Software update

The last thing done today was hooking up my GS-911 and do an autoscan to check for fault codes. But before that my GS-911 needed updating. To update I clicked on a couple of buttons then waited 10-15 minutes for code to be downloaded, unpacked, installed, etc.

The autoscan reported one error – a bulb failure. Yup. I replaced a headlight about 3 weeks ago.

More tomorrow.

 

<=== Prev Next ===>