1966 BMW R69S Restoration: August 1999
1999 August 1 (Sunday)
These are the pieces that go into the headlight bucket. The first thing to mount is the neutral/generator indicator lens. The original lens looked like it was held in place then the plastic melted on the inner edge to form a lip that kept the lens in place. A message to the airhead mailing list suggests clear silicone adhesive will work to hold the new lens in place.
1999 August 2 (Monday)
I mounted the lens using the suggested adhesive. While it was drying I mounted the key slide and chrome cover, taking care not to destroy the tabs of the cover that hold it to the headlight bucket.
I installed the speedometer using a new O-ring. I then mounted the bucket to the frame. I did not hook up any of the internal wiring. The rubber plug to the upper left of the speedometer covers a hole the previous owner added to install a high beam indicator. I’ll do without.
1999 August 3 (Tuesday)
Paul and Alan were looking at what I’ve done so far and mentioned that it’s a shame the wheel hubs won’t match the rest of the bike and I really should clean them up. They’re right.
The spoke nipples were covered with duct tape. Once that was removed I could see that the spokes were held to the nipples with some kind of goop which made them very hard to remove. It looked like some kind of non-hardening gasket sealer, not the anti-seize I expected. Both wheels were completely disassembled.
1999 August 14 (Saturday)
I used Joe’s blast cabinet to clean the hubs then washed them several times and dried them with compressed air before wiping them down with some WD-40. A decision must be made: polish and lace my non-matching alloy rims or replace them. Paul has a new pair of chromed steel rims available if I’d like to go in that direction.